Welcome to the Center for Alaska Education Policy Research (CAEPR) website. CAEPR is a center within the Institute of Social and Economic Research that was created with seed funding from the University of Alaska Foundation.
CAEPR activities include:
- Working with an advisory board representing a broad range of stakeholders and policy makers to identify and address the most important educational policy issues facing Alaska.
- Conducting and disseminating research on key education policy issues. Much of this work will be in collaboration with researchers around the state, as well as from outside Alaska, including those at Education Northwest and the National Education Policy Center at the University of Colorado.
- Analyzing and summarizing education policy initiatives at the local, state and national level
- Building research capacity throughout Alaska through mini-grant funding, proposal development assistance and methodology consultations around education policy research.
- Doing "rapid response" research in response to time-sensitive requests from federal, state and local policymakers.
- Sponsoring undergraduate researchers to assist with research projects through the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship at UAA, as well as through the First Alaskans Institute summer internship program.
What's New at CAEPR?
CAEPR announces two new publications:
- Quality Teacher Evaluation in Alaska: Voices from the Field (pdf, 186KB)
By Martin Laster
This brief focuses on the results of research regarding teacher evaluation policy and practice among a pilot group of Alaska Superintendents, and is intended to guide policy makers on creating and supporting policies which enable school leaders to effectively evaluate and support classroom teachers.
- Why Aren't They Teaching? A Study of Why Some University of Alaska Teacher Education Graduates Aren't in Classrooms (pdf, 219KB)
By Donna Gail Shaw
This brief reports on research aimed at understanding why graduates of UA initial teacher preparation programs did or did not teach in Alaska public schools after completing their programs.
CAEPR has a Twitter account! Follow us at: UAA_CAEPR. We will use this account mostly to share information on research of interest to the Alaska education policy community from other sources, such as the National Education Policy Center, Education Week, federal agencies like the Institute of Education Sciences and other research sources. We will continue to share CAEPR publications and news via email and our website as well as on Twitter.
If you have suggestions for research or resources,
please contact us at CAEPR@uaa.alaska.edu or 907-786-5413.