- The cost of teacher turnover in Alaska (PDF, 1.3 MB)
By Dayna Jean DeFeo, Trang Tran, Diane Hirshberg, Dale Cope, and Pam Cravez
Alaska faces challenges recruiting and retaining educators, especially in its rural and remote communities. This report (pdf, 1.3 MB) details the costs associated with teacher turnover and calculates an average per-teacher cost in four categories: separation, recruitment, hiring, and induction. It details actual dollars allocated to these activities and makes recommendations for policy and practice.
An executive summary (PDF, 191.7KB) is also available for download.
- Early college placement testing: Outcomes and impacts of the Early ACCUPLACER partnership (PDF, 1.2MB)
By Dayna Jean DeFeo
This report details outcomes of the early ACCUPLACER program, which aimed to increase college readiness for high school juniors and seniors by using college placement test scores to advise students into rigorous high school curricula. The report finds that the program did not significantly affect college performance outcomes for students who later attended the University of Alaska; however, the data and literature review suggest opportunities for outreach and programming around college readiness and planning.
- Pathways to College Preparatory Advanced Academic Offerings in the Anchorage School District
By Rosyland Frazier and Diane Hirshberg
There are many ways a child in the Anchorage School District (ASD) can access advanced course offerings. In this report we describe the many advanced and accelerated learning opportunities available in Anchorage elementary, middle and high schools, and the ways students can access these opportunities.
- Good collaborations: A case study of the Health Information Technology partnership (pdf, 1.08MB)
By Dayna Jean DeFeo
The Health Information Technology grant was a collaborative partnership between the Cook Inlet Tribal Council (CITC), the University of Alaska Community & Technical College (UAA CTC) and the University of Alaska Southeast (UAS) to establish the infrastructure for a distance-delivered Occupational Endorsement in Health Information Technology. This document describes a case study research project that explored the activities of the collaboration, specifically as they pertain to student services and outcomes.
- Salary & Benefits Schedule and Teacher Tenure Study (pdf, 976KB)
By Diane Hirshberg, Matthew Berman, Dayna Jean DeFeo, and Alexandra Hill
The report (PDF, 976KB) and appendixes (PDF, 4.49MB) for the study of teacher salary & benefits and teacher tenure are now available to the public.
If you would like to offer comments, suggestions or corrections to the report, please click here.
Comments will be aggregated and shared anonymously with the Alaska Department of Administration and the Alaska Legislature unless you request that we share your name and contact information.
A presentation given to the Alaska Association of School Business Officials (ALASBO) is also available for download (pdf, 504KB).
- How do WorkKeys assessments affect college and career readiness perceptions of Alaska high school students? (pdf, 281KB)
By Deanna Schultz and Sam Stern
This report details findings of a 2011 study of high school juniors in the Anchorage area. After completing the WorkKeys assessment of college and career readiness indicators, students’ responses indicated a gap between perceived and demonstrated skills, but also a perception that the assessment could be a valuable college and career planning tool. This Research Brief identifies implications for policy and practice, and recommends that skills assessments such as WorkKeys be integrated into career development and college planning activities.
- Alaska career pathways: A baseline analysis (pdf, 1.09MB)
By Dayna Jean DeFeo, Sue Fallon, Diane Hirshberg, Cathy LeCompte
This report details the findings from a 2013 statewide study of career pathways (CP) and programs of study (PoS) in secondary districts in Alaska. Twenty-seven of Alaska's 54 districts provided data around the maturity of their CP/PoS, the availability of different CP/PoS, how career planning is addressed, and the availability of courses and PoS in the Health Sciences cluster.
- Will they stay, or will they go? Teacher perceptions of working conditions in rural Alaska (pdf, 631KB)
By Diane Hirshberg, Alexandra Hill, and Craig Kasemodel
In Spring 2013 CAEPR researchers surveyed rural teachers on their perceptions of their working conditions, and the factors contributing to their decision to leave their school or stay. In December of 2013 we matched survey responses against teacher assignments in fall 2013 to determine who actually stayed and who left. This poster presents some preliminary analyses of that data, looking at differences in the views of those who stayed and those who left on issues such as district and school leadership and parent and community support.
- Alaska Native-Focused Teacher Preparation Programs (pdf, 194KB)
By Audrey Leary, Bernice Tetpon, Diane Hirshberg & Alexandra Hill
Since 1970, there have been numerous teacher certification programs intended to bring more Alaska Natives and rural residents into classrooms. In this brief we take a first step toward summarizing the contributions of these programs by describing them, their graduates, and key lessons learned.
- Quality Teacher Evaluation in Alaska: Voices from the Field (pdf, 186KB)
By Martin Laster
This brief focuses on the results of research regarding teacher evaluation policy and practice among a pilot group of Alaska Superintendents, and is intended to guide policy makers on creating and supporting policies which enable school leaders to effectively evaluate and support classroom teachers.
- Why Aren't They Teaching? A Study of Why Some University of Alaska Teacher Education Graduates Aren't in Classrooms (pdf, 219KB)
By Donna Gail Shaw
This brief reports on research aimed at understanding why graduates of UA initial teacher preparation programs did or did not teach in Alaska public schools after completing their programs.
- Alaska Teacher Turnover, Supply & Demand: 2013 Highlights (pdf, 417KB)
The figures in this document show a few findings from the forthcoming report, 2013 Alaska Educator Supply, Demand, and Turnover. They focus mostly on teacher turnover and mobility in recent years.
- Alternative Certification Brief (pdf, 198KB)
This brief offers a short overview of research on the outcomes of alternative certification programs compared with traditional certification, summarizes findings about what makes for effective alternative certification programs, and describes ATC programs in Alaska.
- CAEPR briefs for the Mayor's Education Summit
CAEPR was asked to prepare a series of briefs about the Anchorage School District, to inform the discussion at the Mayor's Education Summit, November 15 & 16, 2011. These are the documents provided to summit presenters and participants.
- Academic Programs in the Anchorage School District (pdf, 56KB)
- Federal and State Mandates and Requirements for Anchorage School District (pdf, 144KB)
- Governance Structures in the Anchorage School District (pdf, 133KB)
- School Choice in the Anchorage School District (pdf, 126KB)
- Comparing School Districts: Selected Statistics (pdf, 133KB)
- Fiscal Profile of the Anchorage School District, November 2011 (pdf, 136KB)
- Student Academic Outcomes in the Anchorage School District, November 2011 (pdf, 197KB)
- Anchorage School District Overview November 2011 (pdf, 222KB)