UAA Integrated Suicide Prevention Initiative (UAA ISPI)
In 2011, CBHRS began the UAA Integrated Suicide Prevention Initiative (UAA ISPI) with a grant from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and a match from the UAA Office of the Provost and the College of Arts and Sciences. UAA ISPI aims to implement a comprehensive, coordinated, and sustainable approach to suicide prevention across the University of Alaska Anchorage campus community. The UAA ISPI will augment and coordinate existing suicide prevention efforts to reach faculty, staff, and students across campus. Drawing upon years of strategic planning guided by the Suicide Prevention Resource Center Strategic Planning Process, UAA ISPI will bring together relevant campus units to accomplish five primary goals:
- increase training opportunities related to suicide prevention and mental health promotion on the UAA campus for staff, students, and faculty;
- increase collaboration among logical campus partners for purposes of delivering suicide prevention messages;
- increase the availability and use of relevant educational materials to improve suicide risk reduction;
- increase help-seeking among students in a non-stigmatizing environment; and
- increase promotion of the Alaska Careline, part of the National Suicide Prevention Hotline network.
UAA ISPI’s three primary strategies to accomplish these goals are: 1) the development of an Advisory Council to guide a comprehensive and coordinated suicide prevention and mental health promotion effort on campus; 2) implementation of targeted faculty, staff, and student gatekeeper trainings that lead to a better understanding of suicide risk factors, greater identification of students at risk, improved student referral for mental health and suicide intervention, and availability of peer-supports; and 3) development and implementation of a campus campaign to promote help-seeking behaviors and reduce stigma.
UAA ISPI is funded by SAMHSA (Grant # 1U79SM060484-01), UAA Office of the Provost, and UAA College of Arts and Sciences.