Professor of Economics
Research: energy, ecosystem services, and sustainable development
- Ph.D., Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1999
- BA, Economics, Williams College, 1981
I’ve been working at ISER since 1984. My principal research interests are:
• Economics of ecosystem services, including tourism and recreation.
I used to study Alaska Native corporations, but I have not done this for many years.
My research is typically cross-disciplinary and I enjoy collaborating with natural scientists and engineers to look at practical problems facing Alaska.
I have a joint appointment with the Department of Economics, where I teach environmental economics & policy and natural resource economics.Selected Publications:
- N. Raheem, S. Archambault, E. Arellano, M. Gonzales, D. Kopp, J. Rivera, S. Guldan, K. Boykin, C. Oldham, A. Valdez, S. Colt, E. Lamadrid, J. Wang, J. Price, J. Goldstein, P. Arnold, S. Martin and E. Dingwell, 2015. A framework for assessing ecosystem services in acequia irrigation communities of the Upper Río Grande watershed. WIRES Water 2015. doi: 10.1002/wat2.1091
- Mathis, J.T., Cooley, S.R., Lucey, N., Colt, S., Ekstrom, J., Hurst, T., Hauri, C., Evans, W., Cross, J.N., Feely, R.A. 2014. Ocean Acidification Risk Assessment for Alaska's Fishery Sector. Progress in Oceanography (July 2014), doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pocean.2014.07.001
- Colt, S., Fay, G. 2014. Economics of Wilderness: Contribution of Alaska Parks and Wilderness to the Alaska Economy. Alaska Park Science 13(1) (June): 34-39.
- Raheem, N., Colt, S., Fleishman, E., et al. 2012. Application of non-market valuation to California's coastal policy decisions. Marine Policy 36(5) (September): 1166–117.
- Colt, S. 2015. Benefits and Costs to Rural Alaska Households of a Carbon Fee and Dividend Program. ISER. Prepared for Citizens’ Climate Education Corporation. August.
- Colt, S. 2014. Fiscal Impacts of Alternative Land Use Scenarios for the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, Alaska. ISER. Prepared for The Nature Conservancy of Alaska. April.
- "Potential economic effects of a carbon fee-and-dividend on rural Alaska households." Arctic Warming IV. Fletcher School, Tufts University. April 12, 2015.
- "Economic Risks to Alaska Communities from Ocean Acidification." Ocean Acidification Symposium, Anchorage, Dec 2, 2014.
- "Local-State fiscal connections." Alaska Common Ground/ISER Alaska Fiscal Futures Symposium, Anchorage, October 4, 2014.
Curriculum Vitae: Steve Colt's Vita (PDF, 105KB)
ISER Publications Database: